At RASASC, we have a team of Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) who work across Cheshire and Merseyside. Our ISVAs provide practical and emotional support to anyone who has made a report to the police – OR are thinking about reporting.
ISVAs are specially trained independent advocates who provide crucial practical support throughout the criminal justice process - from report to court our ISVAs are on hand to support you at each step.
ISVAs can support you with:
- Liaising with the Police, Courts, Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and other public agencies.
- Keeping you informed of developments in your case.
- Assisting with court arrangements if the case progresses to trial – such as pre court visits, specific arrangements for the day of trial including special measures and witness service support. ISVAs are also able to attend on the day of trial to provide support.
- Advocating on your behalf, making you aware of your rights and choices.
- Providing ‘reporting options’ if you are thinking about reporting. This includes how to make a report, what will happen once you make a report, an outline of the criminal justice process, timeframes and the support available to you.
- Sexual Health Information and advice.
- Arranging pre-trial and post-trial therapy at RASASC.
- General advice / onward referrals to other support agencies.
- Advice & information on criminal injuries compensation, the right to review police/CPS decisions and Police & CPS complaint procedures.
If you are a parent/carer of someone under 18 who has experienced sexual abuse, ISVAs can work directly with you to provide the above support.
On recieving your referral our ISVAs aim to contact you with-in 72 hours and will arrange to meet you for an initial meeting as soon as possible to discuss your support needs. Our ISVAs understand that everyone’s needs are different - we will tailor an individual care plan based on your needs and support requests.
The ISVA service is available across Cheshire & Merseyside in the following locations:
- Cheshire East
- Cheshire West & City of Chester
- St. Helens